Saturday, April 5, 2014

Breakfast (and a great post workout meal)....

 I have to force myself to eat a hearty breakfast early in the morning. I'm normally not hungry until 8am or later, but because I work out during the week at 5am, I know my body needs something asap on my return home. We usually had hot breakfast every morning growing up at our house. My kiddos might eat cereal once a week, but for the most part, we eat eggs in some form or fashion for breakfast every morning.  This is currently my favorite way to eat them....









I love this hash, so decided to blog it. I have it as often as I can.....






Here's what you do...

In a large skillet, brown 1/2 lb of your favorite ground sausage, along with 2 peeled and cubed (like pictured) sweet potatoes, sprinkle with about 1tsp of salt (it's more important to salt during this time so the potatoes get a good flavor while cooking) on med high-high heat, stirring often. I like a little color to my sweet potatoes that's why I turn up heat. Cook for about 5-7 mins and cut down heat to low and let it hang out for about 10mins so that potatoes soften...

 when potatoes are softened, add about 3-4 chopped (however you like) mini sweet peppers. I like my peppers with just a little bit of a texture still, that is why I add them at the end. I don't like them soggy. Then I grab about 3 large handfuls of baby spinach. Stir it all together and let it hang out on med-high heat while you prepare your eggs...


Poached eggs are my favorite way to eat them. You can learn how to poach an egg by clicking HERE, but I will say, I do not use vinegar. I just use a medium sauce pan and salt. You will want to make sure your water is salty. Not too salty like pasta water, but I would add 1-2tsp, depending on how many eggs you are poaching at once. I poach 4 usually to speed up my process. These shown above are not the prettiest because my water wasn't a raging boil yet so they have a little "skin" build up, and I should have waited longer, but I was ready to eat and they tasted great anyway :)

Don't poach too long or you'll get a hard boiled egg. I love the creamy thick yoke, not too runny so that means I let them boil for about 1.5-2mins, depending on your heat, I usually set my lid half way on the sauce pan, so that the heat stays in, but I won't have a boil over. Don't be afraid to try, it's not as hard as it looks and it is simply divine :) Plate it up like shown and you'll have an awesome post-workout meal.

(my kiddos don't love pepper, so I add mine at the end...) serves 3 adults or a family of 5 with small children.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails